01 April 2011

JOURNEY 201¦1 XTRA ‘Who’s Driving?’


If you are anything like me, there are times in the journey where you feel that it is just not moving along at the pace you would like. Often times, however, the problem is closer than we realize. We only need to ask ourselves …
Who’s Driving?!?

Seem ridiculous that someone would outfit a vehicle with two steering wheels. I mean, you can only go in one direction at a time. Yet, that is exactly what many of us do. We accept Jesus Christ as LORD and Savior, we get filled with His Holy Spirit, we desire to be employed by Him and we pray for God to direct our steps.

Yet we still desire to hold onto the steering wheel.

Sure we pray to God. But, if there was a translator script hovering over us it would read something like this:

We pray: ‘LORD I really need for You to help me get a job’
We mean: ‘LORD, I really need for You to help me get a job … and this is EXACTLY how You need to do it. It needs to be this position, with this company, this specific salary and opportunities to advance. AND – if it is not done just like this, I will feel like You haven’t answered my prayer.'

We pray: ‘I’m single and I just want Your perfect will.’

We mean: ‘You need to give me a spouse, and not just any spouse … it has to be this specific person; it needs to happen before I turn thirty; they need to have this list of characteristics, with a great paying job and an ability to pray.’

We pray: ‘I need Your direction, please tell me what to do.’
We mean: ‘I really need You to get on board with my plan and bless it so that I can get to where I want … QUICKLY.

I could go on and on …

Yet the crux of the matter is this -
We fail to recognize that He is God and we are not
He is Mighty – we are not
He All Powerful - we are not

 

He is All Knowing – we are not

'As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the LORD is proven; He is a shield to all those that trust in Him.'
Psalms 18:30

He is a PERFECT, PROVEN SHIELD
And yet, a shield only works if you stand behind it.

We cannot grab the steering wheel and then blame Him that the journey is not going as planned. Nor can we nag Him when we become frustrated with the fact that we don’t seem to be progressing fast enough. It is like not having a clue where we are going, plugging in the GPS and then ignoring every instruction that is given because we think we know a better, easier, quicker route. RIDICULOUS! Yet He will grant us our desire if we truly want to steer our own course.

The choice is entirely ours…
Just something to think about as we continue this journey.

WHO IS DRIVING?

No comments:

Post a Comment