31 December 2011

2011 'Year in Review'

Well, it is the last day of 2011! Now is the time for the somewhat customary 'Year in Review'. Therefore, I offer my year in review. And, if a picture is worth a thousand words, then this would sum up my description of 2011.


I don’t know about you, but the year 2011 – from beginning to end – absolutely kicked my tail!  And while I know that I have victory through Jesus, it does not change the fact that I took quite the beating this year.
  • It began in January with the worst Lupus flare-up I have had in some time.
  • Followed by a foreclosure at the end of May, a stay in the hotel and then on to my sister’s house since we could not get into any of the homeless shelters that I contacted. I have had four addresses this year – after fourteen years of consistent residency in the home that my children grew up in.
  • My minivan – which was having some challenges and had a non-functional A/C – worked like a charm (even the A/C) right when we had to move - which was a true blessing since it was ‘hot as blazes’. Then it failed inspection; I was without it for all of the summer, finally got it back and working (somewhat miraculously), only to have the transmission start acting up and then ultimately having to sell it to avoid homelessness for a second time this year.
  • And, somewhere in the mix of all those things, there were some parenting challenges, some broken down family relationships, praying for friends struggling with illness, heart breaking with pain for others going through their own 2011 wilderness experience and some disappointed dreams – namely the publishing of my book. And these are just the highlights ...
Yet through it all, He has walked with me and carried me when necessary. He has kept me from being utterly consumed. Hence, I can claim victory – bloody, battered, tattered, tired victory – but victory nonetheless. After it all, I am still standing -  stronger, wiser and much more patient. Praise God!

And I can find just as many blessings as there were setbacks.
  • Although we were without a place to call home for several months, we were never without a roof over our heads.
  • Despite the flare-up, all of the scarring on my face cleared up.
  • The children issues, however trying, worked out for the good. Still believing for complete healing for my son's back.
  • The family relationships are on the mend, being reconciled by the power of Christ.
  • I got back to full-time work, although I am still praying for something permanent and with better compensation.
  • I met two ‘earth angels’, a good-hearted woman named Glenda and a kind gentleman, with a wealth of godly wisdom, named Eddie.
  • Breezed through a hurricane and earthquake, in the same week, without incident.
  • I have been blessed with a very dear friend - who is more like Christ than she realizes - one who has 'stuck closer than a brother' throughout this year. And I have the joy of other friendships that have blessed me in ways that went beyond my imagination.
  • My two eldest sons received generous grants for college and my youngest got to stay in his same school despite the moves.
  • We had a roof over our heads for Christmas - our own space, our own home/place (however humble) and we are all in good health (including my sweet pup Chico).
And I even got to see some of the things that I was imagining come to pass in 2011...
  • My church’s building is up – expected to be complete by late spring.
  • I have definitely seen the fruits of the spirit developing in my life.
  • And I pray that you all have had a wonderful journey with the LORD this year – that it will only get stronger and go deeper as you enter into 2012. 
'Amid all these things we are more than conquerors and gain a surpassing victory through Christ who loved us.' Romans 8:37 

I am praying that you will be safe, that you will prosper and that 2012 will welcome you with abundant blessing and favor from the LORD. 

Happy New Year!
Much Love in Christ, Zenobia 

No comments:

Post a Comment