03 December 2012

Alive!


I’m Alive!

It seems a fairly simple and obvious thing to get excited over. Yet, more and more, I find myself reflecting on that very fact. Alive! ... And recognizing that each day is a blessing, full of fresh opportunities.




Not too long ago, I heard this song and was overcome – not with sadness but with joy and thankfulness. As I thought about all He has already done to pull me through and bring me back to life - I was moved to tears. I see what the LORD has done in me. And while I am still not everything I need to be, I am nowhere near where I used to be.

I’m excited about that!

In Christian culture we are admonished not to look back. And there is truth and victory in that practice. However, continuously looking forward, we too often focus on how much of the journey is left instead of looking back and celebrating just how much road has been covered – by His grace, through His strength.

That song by Mercy Me talks about the instance when the hurt and the Healer collide and it makes me reflect on all Jesus has done:

'Surely He has borne our grief and carried our sorrows' Is. 53:4

However, the truth is ... that collision takes place every day, many moments throughout the day. The Healer is constantly interacting with us and demonstrating His love and faithfulness - surrounding us with His grace and mercy and equipping us with His strength.

"We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed— always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body." II Corinthians 4:8-10

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.  For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." II Corinthians 4:16-18

Sometimes we can get so focused on the 'fight' that we fail to celebrate the 'life' that makes the fight possible. We can fix our eyes so intensely on what has been lost, on what has died, that we fail to recognize all the things that are alive and being renewed - the wonderful blessings right in front of us, the most significant being 'Jesus, our Hope!'

Celebrating life is a choice and I choose to focus on all the joys it contains.

It reminds me of when I went to Panama on vacation with my boys several years back. Upon returning, I was sharing my observations with a friend who grew up there. And interestingly enough, all I could talk about was everything positive and all she could talk about was everything that she hated about the country. 

We see what we want to see - and we will see the good in life and living when we take the time to look for it. So why don't you take some time today to just be thankful for being alive, counting your blessings ... large and small.

Enjoy the Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment