16 March 2013

Elementary? No, It’s Pre-School!


Elementary – it is a term used to describe a grade level at which someone learns and also the complexity of a task or issue. With respect to discussing a topic, when one says, ‘That is elementary’ – it is supposed that the topic being discussed is one of ease, that certain foundational principles are assumed or that it is so basic in its complexity that a child could grasp it.

Along that vein, I had an interesting discussion with a friend yesterday. She was expressing frustration with the lack of assistance she was receiving from her husband with raising their child and helping around the house. She stated how she ‘nags’ (even though she know she shouldn’t) in hopes that her concerns will be heard and that it will help change the actions/ in-action of her husband.  I simply encouraged her in what I am certain that she already knows (but struggles to execute consistently):
·         Do not nag
·         Pray about it
·         Reject negativity by all means
·         Create a positive environment with your words/actions
·         Do not modify your behavior because of someone else’s

Basic Coaching 101
 
In moments like this, however, most people do not want to hear what is needed, they want to hear what they want to hear. I have long made the observation, ‘You shall know the truth and … it will make you mad … long before it sets you free.’ Even still, I kept encouraging her to do all things unto the LORD, to take the issues to Him in prayer and to let the Holy Spirit do His work. Most of us have trouble overcoming the problem behaviors and attitudes in our own lives. Yet we insist upon doing the Holy Spirit's job. Rest assured, the same way He rapidly addresses us when we do wrong, He is well-able to do with others, if we would only get out of the way. Yet, as I continued to explain to her the futility in constantly nagging and the fact that you cannot change another person, she countered with this comment of frustration: ‘My daughter comes to me for everything, she won’t even go to him …’

Here was an ‘aha!’ moment … one that helped drive home the point

Her daughter, who is not even 3-years old yet and is in pre-school, is using wisdom greater than most adults. So I asked my friend, ‘Why does she come to you?’ Her response, ‘Because I actually help her.’ And I told her, ‘That is exactly my point! Because you have demonstrated a faithfulness in responding to your daughter’s needs, she knows that she can trust you – to listen, to interact and to address whatever the need may be.’

Yet as adults, we do the exact opposite.

We nag to someone who will not listen and tell ourselves, ‘I’ll keep talking/nagging and one day they will listen.’ We express our needs by pouring out our heart to someone who refuses to respond and subconciously tell ourselves, ‘Yes! I’ll keep doing that … even though it leaves me frustrated and empty.’

So I asked her, ‘Why do you keep going to an empty well? Why aren’t you taking a cue from your daughter? She comes to you because you can be trusted to respond.' At her young age, she has figured out that you go where the need gets met.' So I went on to say, 'By your own admission, all your talking is falling on deaf ears. So, why do you keep taking your problems to someone who clearly is not attentive - all while you have a big God who is ready, willing and able to address your need?' We can find everything we need in Christ, yet we keep running to other inferior and unsatisfying sources. We all have done it at some point in our lives, in some manner.

NOW – let me pause here and correct something before it has a chance to go wrong. I am not saying that you should not communicate with your spouse. Communication is important to a healthy marriage – and effective communication is essential. Yet that communication should begin with bringing it to the One who can actually do something about it – it should begin with prayer. We should take our issues to our Heavenly Father, to the Parent who will do something. He will not fail.

If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him!’ Matthew 7:11

God has promised that when we call, He will hear (Jer. 33:3). When we ask, He will respond (Is.65:24). When we bring Him our need, He will supply what is needed(I Peter 5:7). Our task then is to turn to Him with every need.  Take the problem to the One who has the solution.

Elementary?
NO – It's actually pre-school!
 

The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.’ Isaiah 58:11

4 comments:

  1. What do you do when the "spouse" that you are talking to that you feel is not listening or responding to you is God. You talk, you question and you talk some more, you ask why, you ask where are you and there are no answers...just frustration and disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a challenging place to be and I have been there. It can be very lonely, confusing and heart-breaking. You may want to take a look at the post I just put up this evening. I would also recommend reading 'When Love Hurts' (in the archives). Sometimes the Father does things that go completely against our human reasoning. Yet He loves us more than we'll ever know. If you would like to discuss further, you can submit a message with your email ... I moderate all messages before they are posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard knowing that I feel "disappointed" in God. That all the things that I've read in His word and heard preached just does not seem to be true. I did read your post and it was good, but it did not change the way I feel. I know that God is good and that I have so much to be thankful for, yet the emptiness and disappointment remains which leaves me feeling like a horrible person, not living up to His standards (nor my own).

      Delete
    2. My friend, I will never be so foolish as to think that I have all of the answers (or even most of them). My aim here is to encourage … to point others to Jesus.

      With that said, I would like to offer you some encouragement tonight. I understand your concern in being disappointed with God. However, I assure you that you are not the first and will dare to say that you will not be the last. I do not say that to minimize your feelings or to condone the feelings – rather to let you know that you are not alone. One tactic of the enemy is to try to get us to believe that we are all alone in our feelings, in our actions and in this world. But that is simply not true. There are countless mentions in the Old Testament where God’s people would plead – wondering when He would turn His face toward them again. In fact, in Psalm 44:23-26 it says: “Awake! Why do You sleep, O Lord? Arise! Do not cast us off forever. Why do You hide Your face, and forget our affliction and our oppression? For our soul is bowed down to the dust; our body clings to the ground. Arise for our help.”

      The Message Version states this powerful plea this way: ‘Get up, God! Are You going to sleep all day? Wake up! Don’t You care what happens to us? Why do You bury Your face in the pillow? Why pretend things are just fine with us? And here we are – flat on our faces in the dirt, held down with a boot on our necks. Get up and come to our rescue. If You love us so much, Help us!”

      All that to say that God can handle our disappointments. I would also encourage you to not put too much faith in your feelings. You state that ‘all the things that I’ve read in His word and heard preached just does not seem to be true.’ Understand that just because something does not seem to be true, it does not make it false. Likewise (as in the matter of emotions), just because something appears to real and true, it does not make it so. Now, it may be that what you have heard preached, and some of what you have comprehended as you’ve read the Word is not true. But that does not make Him or His Word untrue. You would have to ask yourself (and answer honestly), what is not true in His Word? Can these feeling be validated? Sometimes, when things are not going the way I think they should, I conclude that God is not doing what He said – when in fact He either never said what I am believing or He is answering in a manner that goes against what I expected. He is faithful and does hear when we cry out to Him … and does respond.

      My prayer for you tonight is that He would show Himself real to you in a way that is both powerful and personal. Father, speak to my friend tonight … not to tell them what they want to hear but just to let them know You are indeed here. In the matchless name of Jesus I pray. Amen

      Delete