24 February 2013

love covers ...


‘Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins.’ I Peter4:8NASB

Love covers, it does not expose. I thought about this yesterday as I was tempted to share something. And I was gently nudged by the Holy Spirit, bringing to my remembrance that love covers, it does not expose.

God gave us the first example of this in the Garden of Eden after the sinful fall of Adam and Eve. The Word tells us how they attempted to cover their own nakedness. But, then it goes on to detail their encounter with God:
‘Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.” Genesis 3:8-10TNIV

In verse twenty-two of that same chapter it notes, ‘The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

The LORD God Almighty, who is love (I Jn. 4:8), covered them.

Observe in verses between those shared above that there were still consequences of actions. However, love still looked to cover and not leave them continually exposed.

Further, this principle of ‘love covering’ is reinforced by Jesus’ loving sacrifice which covers us and our sinfulness.

So why address this in light of what I was about to share but didn’t?

You have to be very careful what you share and with whom. I have always been very guarded over my children and what I share and am the same with my friends and was the same when I was married. Reason being? Long after you have forgiven and forgotten the grievance or offense, those who you shared it with may still be holding onto it … and may take opportunities to remind you or your loved ones of it at some point in the future.

The enemy works in very much the same way. He stands as an accuser of the brethren (Rev. 12:10) and points out every shortcoming, every bad attitude and every sinful action. Yet he has been hurled down because, as it relates to the believer, the blood of Jesus has redeemed us (I Peter 1:18-19). The LORD sees the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the blood of Jesus Christ and the love of Jesus Christ. The love of Christ covers.

And we are reminded to love each other in the manner that Christ loves us, fervently and covering… not exposing.

What a wonderful thing to keep in mind any time we are tempted to share some information. While we are encouraged to speak the truth in love (Eph. 4:15), we must also understand:

‘All truth is good … not all truth is good to say.’
– African Proverb

Let Love Cover …  

No comments:

Post a Comment