30 April 2011

stop barking at me!

I saw the most adorable sight the other day when I was driving out to my son's campus...

As I pulled to a stop at a red light and looked to my left, there was this precious little dog in the passenger seat. The window was down and he was looking in the side view mirror. He was absolutely outdone! Every time he popped his head up to look in the mirror, there was another little dog staring right back at him. He would bark and snarl and growl. And, of course, the little dog in the mirror would respond in kind. It was hilarious!

Unfortunately, he was not having as much fun as I was having looking at him. If only he could understand ... if would simply smile at the doggy in the mirror, the doggy in the mirror would smile at him.

And often that is how it is with us humans...

We wonder why the reaction we receive from the world is cold or grumpy or suspicious. Yet we must understand that often times [although, not always] we receive from people exactly what we give off. It has been very rare that I have smiled at someone and they have not smiled back. It does happen but it is rare. So the next time you are catching a bunch of negativity from those you encounter, do a quick self-check to make sure they are not simply reflecting something that you are sending - consciously or unconsciously.

'...with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you'
Luke 6:38

No comments:

Post a Comment