10 August 2012

you give them something ...

'But Jesus said to them, “They do not need to go away; you give them something...!”' Matthew 14:16

Several weeks ago, I had someone say something very interesting to me. They said, 'God has been showing me your face all week and I was praying, "God I don't know what her need is but I pray You supply every need."' And for some reason, that comment got me thinking about this verse.

This week, I saw a living example of a response to this comment/command  from Jesus.

Each morning I leave the house at 5:40AM to get to work by 8:00AM - walking approximatley two miles to catch a bus and then walking about another two miles after getting off the bus. Well, as I walked to work this week, I was offered a ride three days in a row (once by a friend and twice by a 'complete stranger'). It just so happens that 'the stranger' also turned out to be a fellow Christian who works at the same company where I am employed.

Independent of my expressing a desire for assistance or any prompting from an individual, they each made decisions that could not have been more aligned than if they had planned it. They decided that they would not pray for the need to be met. Instead they took action to meet the need.

I believe they each had the sentiments from James etched in their minds and heart: 'far be it from us to tell someone 'be warm and filled' when it is within our power to do something.' (See James 2:15-17)

They were not providing warmth -
Warmth was not needed since it was 80-degrees
But, the air conditioning from their vehicles was refreshing

They were not offering food -
But, they were 'feeding' a need

This is what Jesus was emphasizing to His disciples that day. They viewed the situation as too great for them to be able to effect change. But Jesus had a different perspective. Just for the record, He often does.

He said, 'They do not need to go away; you give them something!'

Please do not misunderstand my intent and the value that I know exists in prayer. Yet how often do we pray when God has called us to be the change that we desire to see? How many times have we missed participating in a miracle because we felt like what we had to offer was insignificant? Worse, how many times have we missed out on partnering with God due to laziness or selfishness?

Having been on the giving end in countless instances - it is very different, heart-warming and humbling to be on the receiving end. It reminds me of God's faithfulness and His words of promise, 'Give and it shall be given unto you: good measure, pressed down and shaken together and running over, shall men pour into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it shall be measured back to you.' (Lk. 6:38) What a blessing!

I pray that my eyes and heart will be open to recognize opportunities to partner with God in being the answer to someone's prayers - whether it be financial, material, emotional, physical or spiritual. And may I act with a sense of urgency, eagerly and joyful responding to the needs of others and the call of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment