25 June 2013

When God Lets Go ...


When God Lets Go ... This is what I have been thinking about this evening, actually for some time. Yet, it came back to mind when I heard this song today on my way home from work –

Colton Dixon –Never Gone
 

Truthfully, I was somewhat half-listening but, it was the chorus that got my attention:

'I’m still standing here
No I didn’t disappear
Now the lights are on
See I was never gone
I let go of your hand   
To help you understand
With you all along
Oh, I was never gone'

 

If I am honest, I have to admit that I struggled with this one part of the song:
‘I let go of your hand … to help you understand'
 
Why would an all-powerful God and loving Father let go of your hand? Where is the compassion in that … and how do you come to a place of understanding, particularly since the words which immediately follow it seem so contradictory?

When I got home, I went on YouTube and listened to the song a couple more times. And as I meditated on the words of the song, my thoughts went back to when my children were small. When they were learning how to walk, there was a point where I had to let go of their hand. Sure, I stayed close to ensure that they would not hit their head on the edge of a coffee-table or hit the floor the wrong way. However, there were also times when I evaluated the risk … and let them fall.

I made sure it was a safe-fall and that they would not hurt themselves. Yet, I also understood that the ‘safe-fall’ was a necessary tool for their growth, every bit as much as me letting go of their hand in the first place.

You see, if I never let go of their hand, they would never learn to balance. If I never allowed them to fall, they would never learn perseverance, they would never master the necessary function of picking oneself up after a fall. Yet they always knew, if they needed me (truly needed me), I was right there. In letting go, I helped them become more self-sufficient and started them on their way to becoming the great men that I know today.

Even as I have struggled over the past several years, feeling like 'God let go’ – I know that His ways are perfect and that the release of His hand (temporarily) does not mean that He is absent. It simply means that He wanted me to grow some more – to gain more spiritual balance, to strengthen my legs of faith. If He never left me in a dark place, how would I ever learn that there was nothing to fear? How would I understand that, just because I could not see Him, did not mean He was not there?
 
 

This week I have been going into work early. So, when I get up in the morning, it is still very dark. This morning, it was extremely dark and, when the alarm went off, I had to step carefully. You see, my Miniature Pinscher was in the room and he is a very small dog so I have to be careful. I could not see him, but I knew he was there. Further, because I know his nature, I knew it was highly likely that he was right beside my bed. He likes to stay close … extremely close … and I’ve come to know that he is always present … even when I cannot see him. Pets are amazing, dogs especially.

Yet, how much more amazing are the ways and the presence of God? In the darkest places, we develop a confidence that He is ever-present. This part of the walk of faith is not instantaneous, nor is it willed into being. It is a learned behavior. As we get to know Him, to understand His character and to see how He interacts with us and others in a myriad of situations – we begin to trust Him more. Then, out of that knowledge and trust, we begin to worship Him more deeply. Subsequently, we experience His presence at an entirely different level, with enhanced perspective and fresh understanding – which is what we desired all along. Over the years, I have come to realize that it is not God’s will that I tend to struggle with as much as it is His way. I love the product (His wonderful plans for me); it is the process that can be challenging at times. True, the growth process can be very challenging. Yet, it is always worth it.

Know this tonight … you are not alone

He has never, ever left your side

No matter how dark it has been

No matter how dark it still may be …

When the light has returned to your situations and circumstances (to your life), you too will find … He has been with you all the time.

 
'He Himself has said, I will never leave you nor forsake you.'
Hebrews 13:5
 
Sending much love your way …
Have a Blessed Evening!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment