17 March 2021

2021: St. Patrick's Day

‘For all who are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God’  Romans 8:14

 

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Today is a day of great celebration for many and a day of national pride for many Irish. Yet, that has not been the primary or traditional reason of celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in my family. Today is my Nana’s birthday!

Growing up in Boston, MA … March 17th was a local holiday

My mom always told me we had the day off from school because we were celebrating my Nana’s birthday. And I remember thinking, ‘My Nana must be something pretty special for them to shut down the whole city.’ I think I was in second or third grade  before I found out the truth. I guess technically my Mom was not lying – that is why she celebrated March 17th.  

However, she also incorporated some very Irish traditions: corned beef, potatoes, carrots and cabbage for dinner on St. Patrick’s Day. The recipe has been tweaked over the years. I add Guinness Stout to my corned beef and we have incorporated chocolate treats and a couple of loaves of Irish Soda Bread. However, the heart of the celebration is the same: good eats, counting blessings and enjoying relaxing time with family. This year my mom is heaven with her mom (my Nana) – but I like to think they are both smiling at me and my sons as we continue our family traditions.

Not all traditions are bad. However, the true message of St. Patrick’s Day often gets lost in some of those traditions. It is frequently overlooked the fact that St. Patrick was taken to Ireland as a slave and eventually played a substantial role in sharing the gospel with the Irish people.  A slave turned missionary  … that is noteworthy.

It is this aspect of St. Patrick’s Day which is much more aligned with the celebration of my Nana’s birth and life.  She was an amazing woman of God! She loved her husband. They were married over 50 years and did not separate until she went home to heaven. She loved her children, she consistently provided for her family, always extended a helping hand to neighbors and established a firm foundation of faith for her family and grandchildren. This legacy of faith has continued – the roots which she established continue to grow, bearing fruit in the lives of her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great, great-grandchildren to this day. Faith in the One True & Living God, Facilitated by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and Empowered by the Holy Spirit … That is truly something to celebrate!

Therefore, in the tradition of honoring my grandmother and honoring the memory of St. Patrick, I leave you with this blessing: May the Strength of God guide us. May the Power of God preserve us. May the Wisdom of God instruct us. May the Hand of God protect us. May the Way of God direct us. May the Shield of God defend us. May the Angels of God Surround us. May Christ be with us, before us and in us. Christ be over all!

No comments:

Post a Comment