24 June 2011

No Longer I ...

‘I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.’ Galatians 2:20


These are amazing words from a man who once persecuted Christians. Paul had undergone such a major life transformation that he no longer acknowledged himself in the equation. This is the aim for every believer – to be so one with Christ that it is no longer we but He that lives and moves and breathes through us.


A couple of days ago, I wrote about 'Power' and we looked at several verses:
  • ‘You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you…’ Acts 1:8
  • ‘Be ever filled and stimulated with the [Holy] Spirit…’ Ephesians 5:18
  • ‘Walk in the Spirit…’ Galatians 5:16
I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit. And, I have been trying with all my might to truly crucify my flesh, be filled with the Spirit and walk in the Spirit. However, if I am honest (and I believe in being as transparent as possible), I have not always been as successful as I would like to be. 


I can mark the day this wilderness journey began – it was November 2005 and I had just come off of a forty-day fast when all sorts of turmoil began. And, it has not stopped for six years. Yes, I have experienced quite a bit over the past few years: incurable illnesses, job troubles, job layoff, concerns for my son (academically and physically), financial devastation, homelessness and family concerns [just to name a few]. But God has been faithful to keep me in the midst of every storm. 


Even still, there have been moments where I simply wanted to scream, ‘I quit!’ ‘But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you (Rom. 8:11).’ No, I cannot give up the fight even when I desire to. It is no longer I who lives but Christ in me. Christ in me ...


The incredible thing about the Spirit of God is this: Resurrection power resident on the inside of every believer! He infuses me with strength and causes me to rise when I want to lay down and give up. He brings about newness of life, joy in my heart and peace to my spirit - even when I want to sulk. He compels me to move forward despite any obstacle which might present itself.


Be encouraged today:
Greater is He who lives in us than he who is in the world (I Jn. 4:4)
His strength is made perfect in our weakness (II Cor. 12:9)
He is GOD, not only with us but in us!
No longer us but Him, no longer I but Christ ...

Keep Trusting! Keep Standing! Keep Moving! 

No comments:

Post a Comment