23 November 2011

JOURNEY 201¦1 ‘Thankful…’


One day before Thanksgiving – and what a fitting week for our journey post to focus on being thankful. You see, there are so many things that we can find to complain about on any given day. Yet we often overlook the opportunities to simply express thanks for all the blessings that God has bestowed upon us. 

Is my life perfect? Of course not, but it is perfectly watched over by the LORD God Almighty. He cares for me (I Pet. 5:7) and He is ever present, always working all things together for the good (Rom. 8:28). As I reflect on this year, I am thankful for many things:
  • His presence, never leaving or forsaking (Deut. 31:6)   
  • Health for me and my children (Ps. 91:10)    
  • His provision of shelter – that although I was without a home to call my own for five months, I was never without a roof over my head (Is. 4:6)   
  • His supply of every need (Phil. 4:19)    
  • Friends and family (Pr. 27:17)   
Years ago, I had a discussion with a peer of mine. We were talking about the challenges of life when I shared with her a simple but profound truth.

It is impossible to complain and give thanks at the same time. You cannot, simultaneously, make negative confessions and shout praises. The same way that light and dark cannot occupy the same space, worry and the peace of God cannot share the same quarters. Fortunately, we can choose what will reign in our hearts and our lives. It begins in our heart and spills out over our lips. ‘From the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks’ (Lk. 6:45)

So, let us all give thanks – not just because it is the Thanksgiving Holiday Season but because we have so much to be thankful for every day.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment