19 October 2018

WHATSOEVER ...


“whatsoever ye shall ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in My name, I will do it.” John 14:13-14
As I read my devotional yesterday morning, I was struck by a section of text. It came from an entry in Streams in the Desert. I have been reading this book for years and have purchased more copies as gifts for friends (and strangers) than I can recall. It is an exceptional book which ‘speaks’ in different ways as you grow spiritually. If you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend picking up a copy. Anyways … I digress … back to yesterday’s devotional.
It was one of the lengthier devotional entries – yet every bit powerful. The entry was talking about the struggles which some believers face in this journey called life. And this is what gripped me, “They had asked they knew not what, nor how, but He had taken them at their word, and granted them all their petitions.”
“He had taken them at their word”
TWO DAYS AGO – I was talking to my youngest son and we were both commenting on what a challenging year it has been [more challenging than the year we lost our home and ended up homeless – if that helps to put it in perspective]
HOWEVER – as I thought about the challenges yesterday morning – and the incredible way all three of my sons have stepped up and been such a special support to me – I was reminded of a prayer I uttered when I became a single mom. One of my dear friends had bought me a card and given me a gift for Father’s Day. And, while I was moved by the gesture and her compliments of me doing an excellent job of mom and dad, it was then that I was smacked with the reality that – no matter how hard I tried – I could never be dad. So I found myself crying out.
        ‘LORD – I do not know, as a woman, how to teach boys to become men. Help them become men – godly, powerful, generous, responsible men.’
This year – more than any of the prior years – I have seen many of those qualities manifest in different ways.
HOWEVER – had I known that developmental process would have taken me down the paths I have been this year … I might have asked for something different.
YET – He took me at my word
There is another section to that devotional text that I read yesterday morning which stated:

Understand this –
When you or I petition Heaven – the LORD GOD Almighty takes us at our word and is faithful to His promise that ‘WHATSOEVER WE ASK – WE SHALL RECEIVE’
When Mary received a visitation from the angel of the LORD, she vocalized her desire, ‘I am the LORD’s servant. May it be done to me according to your word.’ She may have been unaware of the ridicule and danger and discomfort which would occur before she held the Blessed Baby Jesus in her arms.
BUT – He, the LORD – took her at her word.

When I prayed that He would make my sons men. I was unaware of the circumstances we would face which would shape those qualities in them – the situations which would take place to grant them opportunity to arise to manhood.
But, He, the LORD – took me at my word.

When you, dear friend and reader, have prayed in humility and sincerity, ‘Make me like Jesus’
He, the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY – takes you at your word.

It may not always be pretty or comfortable.
But – it may very well be exactly what you asked for.

Embrace the process and know
He is working all things together for your good and His glory.

God Bless …

No comments:

Post a Comment