20 April 2020

WSR REPORT: ENJOY THE JOURNEY


Good Morning Friends

It is very early Monday Morning – April 20th
This is a day which is full of memorable events, many of them not pleasant:
The birth date of Hitler, the leader of Nazi Germany –
an individual responsible for the death of 6 million Jewish people
The anniversary of the United States Columbine High School shooting –
                where 13 students and faculty lost their lives and 24 were injured
April 20th is also a noted ‘holiday’ and day of significance in cannibis culture.
Truthfully – it may not seem like there is a great deal to be thankful for on this date.

However – for me personally – it is a day of great remembrance
April 20th is the day I was married back in 1990. And, although that marriage ended in divorce, the day on which it began is a reason for great joy in my life. You see, if that day had never occurred, I would not have three of the most important people in my life today – my three sons. This day, April 20th, serves as a constant reminder to me that God is always present, always working things together for my good, always bringing beauty from the ashes.

This day, April 20th 
It also serves as a springboard for today’s WSR REPORT: ENJOY THE JOURNEY

While many states are working on plans to reopen their states amidst the COVID-19 crisis,
My state of Virginia remains under a ‘shelter in place’ order.
Yet, all I could think about this weekend was,
‘If I have to shelter in place, I am so thankful it is with people I love and who love me back.’
It seems a simple and obvious thing – yet it is one that should not be taken for granted
Sadly, it is not everyone’s experience

WE MUST RECOGNIZE THE BLESSINGS IN LIFE & BE THANKFUL FOR THEM
EVEN IN THE MIDST OF TRIALS, WE MUST MAINTAIN A HEART OF GRATITUDE

Yesterday and this morning,
I spent some time re-watching a Korean drama series Netflix entitled, Chocolate
I wrote about it at the beginning of this year in a post entitled, 2020: CHERISH THE DAY
And in that post, I shared an observation and quote from a scene in that show:

“Standing on a beach, with the waves crashing in the background, one of the characters makes this poignant declaration:
“As if today is your last day,
and as if you know that this moment will never return,
cherish  every single moment that comes by ladies and gentlemen.
The day you wasted today – is the tomorrow that someone who died yesterday so badly wished for.”  – Tae-Hyun

This touched me intensely and immensely.
It touched me because it is all about the value of life.
It touched me because it is something that I am realizing is so vitally important;
It is something that I know I need –
this need to value the days which the LORD blesses me with
It is something where I am developing a keen awareness of the need for – intention.
You see, making the most of each day will not happen by accident.
I must make a choice to focus on the people and things that matter most.
I must make a choice to appreciate the people who the LORD has blessed me with.”


When I wrote that post back in January of this year,
I had no idea what 2020 would hold for us as a nation and for the world at large
That post ended with the following verse:
‘Teach us to realize the brevity of life so that we may grow in wisdom’ Psalm 90:2
Those words hold an entirely new significance for me as I reflect on them today
We must learn to appreciate and enjoy the journey.      

In my book, When Storms Rage, I note that  we should “never be so concerned with blessing and destination, that [we] miss opportunities to enjoy the journey and God’s Company today. He has already given us more than we could ever deserve in sending His Son Jesus to suffer and die for us. What can be so troubling and massive that the love of God cannot overshadow?

I promise you, no matter what your storm is today, you can rest assured that the LORD cares for that which concerns you. None of your storms have caught Him by surprise. He is still the same all-powerful God He has been since the beginning of time. Therefore, if the storm is present, He must be allowing it. And if He is allowing it, He has a plan and a purpose in mind – plans to prosper and not to harm.”

‘I delight greatly in the LORD: my soul rejoices in my God.” Isaiah 61:10

Despite all which has occurred, and all which is occurring –
I still choose to hope in the One in whom I have believed;
to remain steadfast and confident in the One in whom I have placed my trust.
And I choose to enjoy the journey – today and every day.

I pray you too will find something in your journey to enjoy today.


Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment