29 October 2010

Recession Proof: Still Standing

“A long time passed. Then GOD's word came to Elijah. The drought [recession] was now in its third year. The message: "… I'm about to make it rain on the country." I Kings 18:1 MSG

October 12, 2010 marked the three-year anniversary of my position elimination. This event, coupled with the economic adversity/recession present in the world right now has caused the story of Elijah to take on an entirely new meaning to me. It has become an intimate, personal account and not just another Bible story. It is easy for me to insert myself right into the middle of this narrative and imagine what the Old Testament headlines of my story would read.

Single-mother is still standing in the midst of troubling economic times!
Nee D. Facts
Zarephath Examiner

Unemployment rates stay at record highs and one in every 371 families received a foreclosure notice last month, with many actually being displaced from their homes. These are some of the most challenging times our nation has seen and many are wondering how they will make it through.

Last month I reported on my interview with Zenobia Wise, a single-mother of three who has miraculously endured three years of unemployment during the worst economic-drought our nation has seen in some time. Due to overwhelming response from our readers, I am following up with her today to gain additional perspective and to see what has transpired since our last discussion. Here is what she had to say:

Nee D. Facts (NF): Thank you for meeting with me again to discuss your unique circumstances during this recession, during times of economic, social and atmospheric challenges in the world.
Zenobia Wise (ZW): Oh, you are very welcome. It’s my pleasure. These have been tough times around the world – wars and rumors of wars, domestic violence, financial instability and even the weather has proven unpredictable and volatile in many places. There are stormy weather situations which seem to echo the groans of the people of the earth.

NF: We had quite a response from our readers as a result of our first interview ‘Recession Proof’ which printed on September 9, 2010. How have things been going?
ZW: Well, I am still standing! It has been challenging but I still have a tremendous amount of joy and peace.

NF: I understand that there was a situation, um, development with your home since our last interview…
ZW: Yes. Ironically, the day the interview printed - where I talked about God keeping us in our home these three years - I received notice that my home was in the paper and scheduled to be sold at auction on September 22nd.

NF: I’m sorry to hear that. I guess the idea that anyone’s life can be recession proof is just not possible in this environment.
ZW: With all due respect, Nee, I would have to disagree.

NF: How so? Aren’t you experiencing the same plight as many of our readers – even the same as many who do not believe in your recession-proof God?
ZW: I do face similar challenges and, in some cases, the same troubling circumstances. After all, rains and the storms that bring them do not discriminate – they fall on everyone equally. However, there is a marked difference in how one goes through a situation – how I am going through.

NF: Could you explain?
ZW: Well, there is the person who goes through situations, financial or otherwise, who cannot sleep, who drinks to numb the pain and who compromises their values to secure their place in life. Then there is the person who has a peace which passes understanding (Phil. 4:7). In the midst of a thousand storms raging in their life, they have been stilled internally. They understand that God is their source, their provider and protector and they know that their favor comes from Him.

NF: But some would say that favor has not come your way. Laid off in October 2007 – I understand that you are still without work and by your own admission you have lost your home.
ZW: It is true that I have not found permanent full-time employment. However, I have not lost my home.

NF: But you said that it was scheduled to be sold at auction on September 22nd.
ZW: It was. And the twenty-second came and went with no word regarding whether it actually sold on that date. Then a freeze was placed on all foreclosures two weeks after my scheduled sale date.

NF: That’s too bad – if only it had been a few weeks earlier?
ZW: Well, I just spoke with someone regarding my home last week and they advised that the process is on hold. So I count it as a blessing. God is still supplying and truthfully, keeping the house or losing the house is not the primary issue right now – trusting God unconditionally is the real victory!

NF: Like I said during our last interview, ‘Seems an uncertain way to live.’
ZW: Like I said during our last interview, 'Life is uncertain. But one thing is sure and it is the faithfulness of God. When things get really scary … I hear this inner voice which says, ‘Trust Me!’ That voice, and my coming into agreement with that command, has given me more peace than I’ve ever had.’ Those who trust in the Lord will not be disappointed.

NF: What has been most difficult?
ZW: There are so many things that are equally difficult. But I think one of the biggest has been my name being ruined – my integrity being tainted.

NF: How so?
ZW: Well, when I make a promise to a person or company, my intent is to keep my word. It bothers me that I have not been able to pay my financial obligations timely. I do not think it is a good Christian witness. I find it extremely troubling, especially since I was on track to becoming completely debt-free prior to my layoff. I gave tithes and offerings (and continue to); when I got raises, I did not increase my standard of living; and if we couldn’t pay cash, we wouldn’t buy it – clothes, vacations, even the car I bought for my mom.
NF: That is sad.

ZW: Then there is the impact on family relations. Financial struggles can really test the strength of a relationship. Me, my kids and my mom all live here. And there really has to be a conscious decision made that we are all going to come out of this situation one day and we will all come out TOGETHER. You have to abandon feelings during times like this and operate off of commitment.

NF: So, there’s the impact to family and reputation - anything else?
ZW: There is the struggle of maintaining your identity. Most people cannot identify with being rejected for years – three years and countless job applications – it takes a toll especially when you look at the needs of your family and know that you are responsible.

ZW: Everyone has an opinion, ‘If I were you, I would …’

If we only had the same level of clarity to solve our own problems that we seem to possess in addressing everyone else’s issues - this would be an ideal world. ‘Change this, try that, go on welfare, get some food stamps, lie on your application and say you made less than you actually did at your last job, dumb yourself down for interviews.' It is amazing some of the feedback I have received.

It is so important to make sure you are receiving godly counsel and to reject those things that do not align with the Word of God. And even with the morally acceptable feedback, you have to be careful. Something might work for someone else – and it might not be ungodly – but it is not the right thing for you. You really have to talk to God and read His Word. He promises to direct our steps and lead us in paths that are good. (Prov. 16:9 & Ps. 23:3)

NF: What are the best things that have happened - either in the past three years or since we last spoke?
ZW: My faith is increasing. It is getting stronger every day. And I am getting a lot of activity on my blogs ‘Christianblog’and 'zenobiawise.blogspot.com' On one of the blogs, we’ve got readers in twenty-two countries outside of the United States.

NF: You say ‘we’. Have you partnered with someone?
ZW: Father, Son and Holy Spirit - and the community of readers. They are why I write.

NF: Anything else?
ZW: Miracles are still happening. I was praying about groceries one Sunday morning a couple of weeks ago and I told God, ‘I don’t know how I am going to buy groceries this week, but I trust You.’ Then I went to church and ended up staying for both services. Well, at the end of that second service, someone walked past me and dropped $300 in my lap. They said that God spoke to them and told them to give it to me.

God’s Word is true. He says, 'I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers!' Isaiah 65:24 NLT While I was praying about my situation, God was already talking to someone else about the solution. We just need to leave it in His hands and let Him handle things. Not to say that we are to be inactive – we actively do EVERYTHING we know to do – and then we leave the results to God. He is faithful!

NF: Amazing!
ZW: I know, huh!?! It was great, especially considering that God had put it on my heart to give a gift to someone else. Once I received that money, I returned the tithe, paid some bills, gave the financial gift that was on my heart and got food for my family.

God has also opened a door for me to talk with a publisher next month about my book.

NF: What is the title again?
ZW: When Storms Rage21 Principles to Keep You Anchored Through Life’s Toughest Moments

NF: What principles have been most important to you?
ZW: Well, they are all important – but if I had to pick: Expect Great Things, Keep Moving and Remember the Lord.

I can live without friends. I can live without finances. I can even live without a house if absolutely necessary.

But, I cannot live without hope. And, my hope is in Christ - it is in my faith and my relationship with Him. That hope keeps me moving - it keeps me believing and it keeps me worshipping God no matter what happens. And remembering God gives me peace and comfort and grace to do all things. My relationship with Him is everything to me.

NF: Last words of encouragement?
ZW: It has been said, ‘A picture is worth a thousand words.’ Well, in God’s kingdom, one word from Him can invoke a thousand images of the future He has prepared for you. And there will be times when you have to stand upon that word you heard from the Lord. But you must understand that it will not be easy. Others, though well intentioned, may discourage you. Because they have not heard what you heard God say to you, they may not be able to see what you see.

Keep moving. Keep walking by faith and not by sight (II Cor. 5:7). Though the vision may take a while to manifest, wait for it. It will not be late. It will come in God’s perfect timing. (Hab. 2:3) Keep trusting. He who promised is faithful. And, 'I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us (Rom. 8:38-39 MSG).’ Ephesians 6:13 in the Amplified tells us, ‘… stand your ground on the evil day [of danger], and, having done all [the crisis demands], to stand [firmly in your place].’ Keep right on standing!

NF: Thank you again for talking to us today.
ZW: Thank you and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment