08 November 2010

How Attractive Are You?

How attractive are you?
And, no, I am not talking about your physical looks.
Do you attract or repel?

I ask because I got a call early this morning.

The person on the line was talking about how tough it has been – that they have had to work for seven days straight and how exhausted they were. I acknowledged how difficult that must be but then added, ‘It is always better to have a job than to not have one.’

How did they respond?
‘I know, really I know, I guess I was just vomiting a little.’
Point taken – they had read my blog ‘Think I’m Gonna Throw-Up’.

What followed was a conversation on that message and on the church – believers and their interactions with each other and some members of the church body and their interactions with the world. We also discussed the importance of staying in touch with the Holy Spirit daily to ensure that we understand God’s heart on a particular matter and that we are speaking from His heart of love as we talk to others.

This person shared how they had simply ‘been there’ for someone – one who needed a listening ear, a caring heart and someone to give them godly feedback [whether that is what they knew they needed when they called or not]. They also talked about the appreciation which was expressed by the person who needed the help.

Then, this person [the one who called me] said something that was so simple but that I found so profound: ‘Right actions are a magnet for right reactions’

Right actions are a magnet
They attract and draw in right reactions

So, you might ask [as I did], 'Why do so many people with good intentions find their words and actions met with seemingly [and sometimes actual] hostile reactions?’

When I worked in the corporate environment, relational challenges often came up as a topic of discussion with some of the people I mentored. Whether it was a problem they had with a supervisor or peer, their feedback to me would often be, ‘No matter what I do, I can’t seem to get along with that person.’ In response, I would ask them to share everything positive about that person that they could think up. If they struggled significantly or could not come up with anything at all, I knew we were fighting a near-impossible battle.

You see – if someone does not respect or appreciate ANYTHING about a person, they can say all the right things and it still will not yield a right result. The words and actions cannot be heard over the screams of all the ‘yuck’ inside which mucks up the conversation or interaction.

Know that no amount of behavior modification can conceal or mask a heart which lacks true love, compassion and respect for another as one of God’s fearfully and wonderfully made creations. If someone has a heart full of self-righteousness, judgment and condemnation – it will not matter that they say, ‘I love you with the love of the LORD.’ The person still will not come to church or Jesus because they sense the insincerity.

From the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks [with tones and inflections]; even if the words are correct. And, if there are inconsistencies between the words and the heart, it will be felt and it can cause an offense.

How many times have you witnessed this scenario?
Someone says something to someone and it is met with an offended spirit. Then, the person who made the initial comment, rather than apologizing, will boldly proclaim, ‘God knows my heart.’

And what happens?
It often results in a bad reaction.

Now, please do not misunderstand my point. There will be times when you say and do the right thing, with the right intention and it still gets confronted by a wrong reaction.

Jesus, who said all things are possible with God (Mk. 10:27), said it is IMPOSSIBLE that offenses would not come. After all, we are all imperfect human beings dealing with other imperfect people – A RECIPE FOR OFFENSE. Yet Jesus adds a disclaimer of woe to the person through whom those offenses come.

And I must consider whether too many believers are taking the easy way out.

It is certainly easier to assume that – with respect to our actions or deeds- the recipient resides in the camp of offense. It is easier, and a lot more comfortable, than examining our own hearts to see if we might be the cause of the offense.

Gandhi is quoted as saying, ‘I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.’ Tough words indeed yet, they are not words to which we should take offense. Rather they should be cause for us to examine our hearts daily. Proverbs 4:23 tells us to, ‘Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it spring the issues of life.’

Understand that God does indeed know our hearts.
Yet, if we are operating in love, our hearts ought to be evident to somebody other than God.

• When He saw the multitudes, He [Jesus] was moved with compassion (Mt. 9:35)
• And Jesus went forth … and was moved with compassion (Mt. 14:14)
• So Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes (Mt. 20:34)
• And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth His hand (Mk. 1:41)
• And when the Lord saw her, He had compassion on her and said (Lk. 7:13)

Jesus’ actions and speech sprang forth from His compassion, from His pure intentions, from His heart for the people. And as Christians, we are called to be like Him.

Not too unreasonable is it?

I love the song ‘I Will Follow’ by Chris Tomlin and I especially love when it says:
‘Who You love, I'll love’
‘How You serve, I'll serve’
‘If this life I lose, I will follow You’
‘I will follow You’


And isn’t that what being a Christian is all about?
Being like Christ –
Serving like Christ –
Dying to self like Christ -
Loving like Christ –

‘If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all His mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.’ I Corinthians 13:1-3 MSG

Do we truly love the people of God – ALL THE PEOPLE OF GOD – those who have received His call AND those who have not yet received the call?

Do we really want to see souls saved, lives transformed, communities regenerated, nations empowered, destinies influenced and eternity impacted?

If we will love people, truly love people and do everything out of that love –
If we will scrutinize ourselves, ensuring we are driven by right heart attitudes and intentions –

Those right actions will indeed be a magnet for right reactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment