17 March 2011

Pray for Blindness?

Blinders –

Webster’s Dictionary defines blinders this way:
1 :either of two flaps on a horse’s bridle to keep it from seeing objects at its sides
2 plural: a limitation or obstruction to sight or discernment

With horses, these are believed to be a help; to keep him ‘forward focused’ and to discourage him from becoming easily distracted by scenery, people and other horses; to keep him from being ‘spooked’ by his surroundings. This is great for the animal. However, blinders serve a purpose to the human population as well.

Throughout my many years walking with the LORD, there have been several instances where I have prayed for spiritual blinders:
* To keep me from sinning
* To keep me forward-focused
* To keep things in proper perspective
* To keep me attuned to His priorities
* To keep my eyes fixed solely upon Him
* To keep me from becoming distracted and fearful

Maintaining proper spiritual perspective is absolutely crucial:
‘And when the servant of the man of God had risen early and gone forth, behold, a host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, "Alas, my master! What shall we do?" And he answered, "Fear not, for they that are with us are more than they that are with them." And Elisha prayed and said, "LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see." And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man, and he saw; and behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.’ II Kings 6:15-17

Elisha prayed that his servant’s eyes would be opened. Yet there was nothing wrong with his natural sight. After all, it was the sight of the hosts which were compassed about the city with horses and chariots which instilled terror in his heart. It was his spiritual vision or perception which needed to be enhanced – his physical vision was all too accurate.

You see, eyes and vision are a blessing, but they can also be a hindrance; so much so that Matthew 5:29 tells us, ‘If your eye—even your good eye—causes you to lust, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.’

I don’t know about you, but I do not see a lot of people gouging out their eyes in a quest to conquer sin or to grow spiritually. I know I have not done it. Sound too extreme? Do you have a low threshold for pain tolerance? Perhaps you just don’t like the sight of blood - not that you would be able to see it at that point. Now I'll admit, the thought of someone plucking their eyes out is pretty gory. But, what about a 'naturally occurring' blindness?

Who would pray for blindness?

We petition God for all sorts of things – for things that we perceive as positive.Yet do we desire Him enough to pray for the things that might not feel so good?

Do we ask Him to send us situations and people that will challenge us to develop the fruits of the Spirit and become like Jesus Christ?

How many times have you heard someone say, ‘I don’t pray for patience anymore, because every time I do, something happens to aggravate me’? Yet that is exactly what we are supposed to do – embrace situations and circumstances that will help us to develop character like that of Christ, even if it is an unpleasant process.
  •  Are we so committed in our journey with Him, that we are willing to endure whatever may come so that we may know Him more deeply and make Him known?
  • If we could know the LORD, as we’ve never known Him, and see Him, as we’ve never seen Him – though blind – would we consent to that fate?
  • If we could hear the LORD with greater clarity, because of the removal of distractions like sight and sound – would it be worth it to us?
"LORD, I do not like this lot in life. Yet if my walking though it will bring you glory and conform me to Your image - let the situations and circumstances remain."

"My God, I know that Jesus bore injury to His body for my healing. Yet, if this illness is developing some aspect of my character so that people see Him when they look at me - please do not let the healing manifest at this time."

"Father, I thank you for the gift of sight, but if these eyes are a stumbling block to me seeing You in Your glory and becoming all You have purposed for me to become - at the precise moment that You have ordained - take it from me."

How often have we ever heard prayers that sound like that?! How often have we uttered prayers that sound like that? Yet, we must recognize that what we view as adverse and limiting can actually be beneficial and empowering.

It is interesting that some of the most profound quotes have come from Helen Keller, an American author, political activist and lecturer, left deaf and blind at the age of nineteen months from an illness she contracted. Here are just a few of the many …

"I can see, and that is why I can be happy, in what you call the dark; but which to me is golden. I can see a God-made world, not a manmade world.”
“My darkness has been filled with the light of intelligence, and behold, the outer day-lit world was stumbling and groping …”

”The Bible gives me a deep, comforting sense that “things seen are temporal and things unseen are eternal.””
”A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.”

Blindness – a benefit?
Who, being blind, would not pray to be healed?
Who, having sight, would dare pray for blindness?

No comments:

Post a Comment