19 July 2011

The Father's Ornament

Zenobia - It is a unique name yet also one that, for many years, was not particularly meaningful to me. Everyone would comment on how beautiful and different it was but I always wanted to know what it meant beyond the fact that it was a name held by a 3rd century Syrian queen. Don't get me wrong, she was quite a queen, a warrior queen known for great military conquest, full of beauty, strength, knowledge and wisdom. Yet being named after Zenobia, the self-reliant conqueror, never did anything for me personally.  

As I got older and researched it, every definition would say ‘given life by Zeus or daughter of Zeus’. However, that was never a definition that resonated with me. Being named after Zenobia, the daughter of a mythological god, was not awe inspiring either. It must mean something more … something more significant … something more purposeful.

Well, a couple of years back, I came to the realization that Zenobia was not just a Greek name. It is also an Arabic name which means Father’s Ornament’. Now that was something to which my spirit could grab hold.

Over the past few days, I have heard messages on identity. And it got me thinking about the way that God has been speaking to me over the past several years, helping me to regain my sense of identity. The youngest of four, picked on as a child, growing up in a broken home and the turmoil of a failed marriage, my sense of who Zenobia was had taken a quite a beating over the years.
     Yet God has been slowly restoring me, for He knows I can never be all that He has called me to be until I know who I am. That is why I think He revealed this definition to me a few years ago. You see, the definition of 'The Father’s Ornament' is special. And I capitalize Father, because for me it is not just significant that I am merely any father’s ornament, but that I am the Father’s ornament.

A quick check of the Webster’s online dictionary defines an ornament as follows: a useful accessory; something that lends grace or beauty; a manner or quality that adorns; one whose virtues or graces add luster to a place or society. And what is an accessory? Well, one of the many definitions is that of an object or device not essential in itself but adding to the beauty, convenience or effectiveness of something else.   

Zenobia: the Father’s object, whose virtues and graces add luster to a place or society; not an essential object but one that He chooses to employ.

POWERFUL! 

What a joy to be the Father’s light in a dark world: not because of anything I have done, not because of my graces or virtue , but because of His Holy Spirit living in me and shining through me. What an honor! And it is an honor bestowed upon every believer – whether your name is Zenobia or not.  You too are the Father’s Ornament. 

‘You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.’ Matthew 5:14-16 NASB 



‘Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.’ Matthew 5:14-16 MSG 

So to all the Father's Ornaments I say,
Shine bright so that all the world can see ...
And glorify your Father in heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment