13 July 2011

JOURNEY 201¦1 ‘the little things’

Thoughtful, comforting, cozy and FREE! 

What am I talking about?
A hug - my son gave me a huge one yesterday and it was just what I needed, right when I needed it. Then someone, a total stranger, took the time to listen, to offer me some Bible based encouragement and prayer. Yes, at times, it is the little things that matter most of all. 

Yet we can often become so preoccupied with our own circumstances in the journey that we fail to take the time to think about anybody else. We fail to seize opportunities to do something for someone else. We forget ... the little things. 

It could be that we are selfish. However, I am an optimist and I do not believe it is just a matter of people being self-absorbed.

More often than not, I believe that there are many who have an earnest desire to reach out to other people. Yet sadly, they feel that 'the little things' they could do would not make a huge difference, that any effort would only be a drop in a lake of challenges in someone’s life, so they do nothing.

However, speaking as someone who normally has an encouraging word for everyone, I was desperately in need of some encouragement yesterday. And those two drops made all the difference in the world, causing ripples of comfort and love to stretch across the immense ocean of difficulties that are currently confronting me.   

So, today’s journey message is just a little nudge for each of us to consider how we might make someone’s day by simply doing ‘the little things’ a hug, a smile, a listening ear, a card to say, ‘I was thinking about you today’, a scripture or a prayer. Cost does not matter – many of the things listed cost nothing. It is a matter of the heart, extending yours to someone else. They will thank you for it and you will feel fantastic knowing you made positive difference in the life of a fellow sojourner – even if for a mere moment.   

‘All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.’ II Corinthians 1:3-4 NLT 

‘So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you'll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind. I know you're already doing this; just keep on doing it.’ I Thessalonians 5:11 MSG 

‘Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.’ Matthew 5:16 NASB 

Have a Blessed Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment