10 August 2011

JOURNEY 201¦1 ‘Detour’

‘So the king did not listen to the people; for the turn of events was from the Lord, that He might fulfill His word …’ I Kings 12:15

The turn of events was from the LORD, that He might fulfill His word.

This is the verse that the Lord took me to a couple of years ago. I was planning a trip to Asia. I had already received my new passport, had my travel items organized, had gotten all of my immunizations and my plane ticket was purchased. I had even started practicing a new language. Then, approximately five days prior to our departure, I received notification that my visa had been denied and I would not be able to travel with the rest of the team. Yet when the notice came, I was not altogether surprised [somewhat disappointed but not completely caught off guard]. You see, the LORD had given me I Kings 12:15 two days prior to prepare me for the news that would come.



Understand, despite the best plans in the world, that there are times in the journey when you will come up against a 'detour'. Things may not go quite the way you anticipated. You may encounter resistance in unexpected places, from unexpected people and, at what seems like, the worst possible moment. However, there is no reason for alarm. Know that God is always in control. And some of those detours [what we would perceive as detours] are actually part of His plan to accomplish His will in the earth.

Earlier this week, I talked to an individual about my most recent 'detour' out of my home and feeling very much like a nomad. And while celebrating the goodness of God, I expressed to this young lady just how important it is that we be able to praise God for closed doors just as exuberantly as we do for open doors. We must truly believe and trust what the LORD says in Jeremiah 29:11, "I know the plans I have for you', says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'"

Therefore, even when the events do not line up with our idea of how things should go, we can be at peace knowing that God is still in control and working all things together for the good. If you are currently facing a detour, or if you encounter an unexpected one in the near future, do not fear and do not become anxious. El Elyon, God Most High, sits on high and is keenly aware of every turn of your journey. Ours is to simply submit to His leading. 


‘A man’s heart plans his way,
but the Lord directs his steps.’
Proverbs 16:9

‘He [My Lord] guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to His name.’
Psalm 23:3NLT  

Father, we praise You and we thank You … 
For the open doors & the closed doors ...
For the ‘detours’ in the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment