21 August 2011

Praise: Optional

'This is the day the LORD has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it!' Psalm 118:24 NLT

My pastor made an excellent point today when reading this verse today. The decision to praise is an expression of your love for God and is entirely an act of your free will. Further, while given as a command in the Bible, praise is still optional. You have to decide.
  • Will you praise or worry?
  • Will you praise or complain?
  • Will you praise or gossip?
  • Will you praise or pout?
To praise the LORD continually requires a discipline ... which, if I am completely honest, I am still working to perfect in my life. Yet, I do realize that what you praise is what you exalt in your life. It is what becomes large in your eyes. And, while your next breath may not be optional, what you do with your next breath is entirely up to you. 

Therefore ...

'I will [as a joyful act of my choosing]
     bless the LORD at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul will make its boast in the LORD;
     the humble will hear it and rejoice.
O magnify the LORD with me,
     and let us exalt His name together.'
Psalm 34:1-3 NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment