07 June 2012

about this time next year ....

'...about this time next year...' Gen. 18:10

They were facing a seemingly impossible situation
Sarah ... well past child-bearing age
Abraham ... ninety-nine years old

But they had a promise from the LORD ... a promise that He would radically change their situation

I am certain it was exciting, intimidating, awe-inspiring, joyful and frightening all at the same time. To have a promise from God is a powerful thing. For we know 'God is not a man that He should lie, nor the son of man that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?' (Num. 23:19)

Even so, the road to travel from promise to fruition can be an adventurous and one - and so much more when the promise is not as specific as the one that Abraham and Sarah received.

The past few days have been times of tremendous reflection for me.
About this time last year ... actually, exactly this time last year ... I was moving out of my home of fourteen years. I had been out of work for over two years after my position was eliminated. My fridge had broken, the air conditioning hadn't worked in a couple of years and the temperatures were unbearable. We had no finances, no where to go and family relations were strained (to put it mildly). I recall vividly, sitting at the storage facility with my three sons that evening ... trying to figure out where we were going to spend the night. I can still go back to that moment of relief, when we entered a small hotel room (Min-Pin in tow). With all of the packing and moving, I think I had not had a chance to be still for the two weeks leading up to that time. Odd, that I was out of my home, living day to day, but I had peace. The worst that I could have imagined, had actually happened and we were all still alive, well and together.

Now, I did not have an 'about this time next year' promise
But, I did have a promise from the LORD ...

'I know the plans I have for you,' says the Lord. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.' Jer. 29:11

The following weeks and months would find us needing to move out of the hotel once the funds ran out and unable to find room at any of the shelters that I contacted. Yet God was still faithful. With most of my belongings in storage and no permanent place to call home, we never spent a night without a roof over our heads. We ended up staying at my sister's for three months.

It is now 'this time next year'...
And the past year has been full of ups and downs, twists and turns:
  • My van (which had been sitting inoperable in my driveway) worked long enough to get us around for the week after we moved out. Then it failed inspection and sat (again inoperable) in sister's driveway the entire summer.
  • My ex-husband then gave his truck to my oldest son so that we would have some sort of transportation
  • Then I got rear-ended by a huge truck while driving my son's vehicle
  • I got temporary employment and we were finally able to move into an apartment just as we were getting ready to move back into a hotel
  • Less than one month after we moved in, someone tried to break in - busting my son's bedroom window. Thankfully, my neighbor drove up just as they were breaking the window and he ran them off.
  • My son's truck got struck again while it was in the campus garage - hit and run
  • Twice my sons had to pay the rent because I simply did not have enough resources. That was humbling and beautiful at the same time. To see their selflessness and how much they've matured.
  • Then someone from my church gave me $1200 to get my car back on the road. It was exactly what I needed. Yet, when I went to the shop they said, 'Your car is fine you; it will only cost you the price of the inspection.' I couldn't believe it. After having my car sit the entire summer, to be told nothing was wrong with it.
  • When I went to give the money back to the couple and explained what happened with the van, they told me to keep it. I then felt led to give it away.
  • Immediately after I gave it, the transmission on the van started acting up and I ultimately had to sell the van to avoid homeless again.
  • My middle son purchased a vehicle on his own. I was so excited for him!
  • Less than one month later, he was hit by a huge SUV. His vehicle was totalled but he walked away without a scratch or as much as a headache. Praise God! And he got back into another car about one month ago ... better than his first one
I can't begin to tell you how many of my talks with the LORD have started, 'Really God?! Really?!' Yet, He truly is working all things together for the good.

  • My oldest son is starting his senior year of college in the fall
  • My middle son will be a sophmore in college
  • And the youngest son all grown up (height and maturity) will be finishing up high school.
  • On the birthday of my youngest last month, I found myself praising God. Three sons, grown up and so precious to me ... what a blessing. I could not have done it without the LORD. He is truly a Father to the fatherless.
  • Family relations are mending
  • And I've been able to continue attending and serving in my home church (even the days when I had to walk to get there). We're moving into our building on June 17th!

It has been quite a journey...
I have grown tremendously
My life is governed by peace
I have learned to laugh a lot more!
I have a permanent position (got hired in February)
And I am writing this post, from my air-conditioned apartment ... where it is small ... but we are alive, well and together. I am truly blessed!


I praise God for His faithfulness
Although there are still many needs .... much has changed in the past year
I know my best days are not behind me ... they are right out in front of me

Jesus is my hope, and His prayers have accomplished His will ... that my faith would not fail.
I am still growing, still trusting, still standing, still singing, still smiling and holding fast to the faith that I profess.

I am feeling .... Thankful!

I would love to hear something that God has done for you this past year (or month, or week). Please, take a minute and leave a brief message. God's Word tells us that we overcome by the word of our testimony, and we do. However, we also overcome by the word of others' testimony ... and they by ours. So take some time to share what God has done and what He's doing in your life ... if not here, somewhere, with someone. It will encourage your faith and theirs.

Take Care and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment