22 September 2018

Love that lasts ...


Well – it is Saturday afternoon and I am embarrassed to say that I have been utterly unproductive today [that is, if driving to Dunkin Donuts to get a large coffee does not count as productivity]

I have spent the morning … watching multiple episodes of a Chinese romantic drama. Every so often, I just need to relax and have some girl time. However, viewing all these declarations of love has taken back to my time of prayer and reading from this morning.

This morning – in my devotional – I came across a verse that the LORD spoke to me years ago.

… Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you … that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.” Luke 22:31-32

Fast forward – Jesus has been crucified, buried, and is risen … sitting on a beach with His disciples.
 And, “He [Jesus] said to him [Peter] the third time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” John 21:17

Surely, this situation had reminded Peter of the hours before Jesus was crucified, when he – after being asked three times – denied knowing Jesus three times.

So, here is Jesus … basically granting Peter a ‘do over’. He has given him a fresh start – something He extends to all of us through the free gift of salvation.

Peter responds in that same verse,
Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”

And there is the beauty. He did not allow Peter to endure the challenges so that He would know where Peter’s heart stood. After all, He is God in the flesh, Emmanuel, God with us, who is also all fully Omniscient.

The challenges were not for the benefit of Jesus
The challenges were for the benefit of Peter … and the body of Christ

YES – sometimes the trials of life are permitted, not so that God knows where we stand, but so that we know where we stand

There comes a point – particularly in intense spiritual battles – where you realize…
No matter what I endure, no matter what it costs, no matter what I lose …
I LOVE YOU, LORD and NOTHING will change that!
It develops in you, character and the fortitude to face whatever may come – in faith, with boldness

“More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ Philippians 3:8

Perhaps it was not a completely unproductive day after all …

Have a Blessed Evening!
Zenobia

1 comment:

  1. Here is a powerful song that captures the heart of this post. It is ‘What Can I Do?’ by Tye Tribbett. I love the end of this song … take a listen when you have the opportunity:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe9qRXe9yAc

    “Tell me what can I do? ‘Cause I can’t live without You? …
    I can’t walk without You …
    I can’t talk without You …
    I can’t sing without You …
    I’m nothing without You …
    I can’t live without You! …
    I can’t breathe without You! …
    I can’t be without You …
    And, LORD, I’m convinced, that THERE IS NO ME … NO ME WITHOUT YOU!

    And, LORD I’m desperate tonight. I can’t live without You. And I can’t move without You, No. Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh … LORD I can’t even breathe without you. LORD where would be without You? Oh, where would be without You? LORD where would be without You!?! LORD I’m a lost cause without you. I can’t even breathe without You, LORD! I can’t even think without You, LORD! There’s no me without You …

    ReplyDelete