21 November 2018

grace ... grace ...


Good Afternoon Friends …

I pray your day has been great thus far. I am already working on a four day weekend – I left work early today. What a blessing!

And, as we all get ready for Thanksgiving – and head into weeks of holiday time – I wanted to take a couple of moments to talk about GRACE.

WHAT ABOUT GRACE?

Webster’s online dictionary has a number of definitions for that word GRACE. However, this is the one that I would like to focus on today:


 disposition to or an act or instance of kindness, courtesy, or clemency

An individual who is graceful would possess this quality. They would have a disposition [nature, character, temperament] towards kindness [thoughtfulness, compassion, gentleness], courtesy [consideration, politeness, civility] or clemency [MERCY & FORGIVENESS]

Grace is important because we live in a world where pain is inevitable

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about a love 'greater than pain ...'
In that post, I noted how Inevitably, there will come a moment in every relationship where someone will do something, or you will do something that will cause a 'rift' in the relationship

This season is famous for those situations occurring as there are multiplied opportunities for increased interactions with family, friends, used-to-be-friends, colleagues and strangers.

But why are there so many opportunities for things to go awry?
I believe it driven by two primary factors: ACTIONS and INTENTIONS

Our relationships are shaped by actions and intentions.
And, our responses to others are based upon our assessment of actions and intentions.

I was discussing this with a co-worker of mine this week. She was sharing a situation where someone said something to her that caused an occasion for offense. In listening to what she said, I acknowledged the pain it likely inflicted. However, I also took the opportunity to share my understanding of how it could happen so easily. And here it is:
WE OFTEN JUDGE OURSELVES BY OUR INTENTIONS, AND OTHERS BY THEIR ACTIONS

We’ll pardon ourselves when we have offended someone by reminding ourselves that we had the best intentions. Yet, we will become hurt and irate with others based upon their actions – giving little or no thought to the intentions behind their words or deeds. I then asked my co-worker to think about our own friendship when she has said something to me that [while well-intentioned] did not produce a great result. I reminded her that she likely had the best of intentions – just like the person who gave her cause to be offended.

HOWEVER –
There are times when the best of intentions can still create the worst of outcomes

And wouldn’t you know it, two days after talking to my friend, I had the exact same situation – only I was the cause of the offense. Best of intentions – worst outcome

And while I apologized swiftly – because I would never want to be the cause for even a moment of discomfort in the life of another person – it has to be understood that you cannot always repair the damage which has been done.

As I thought about my own situation, my thoughts gravitated toward Peter. You see Peter was famous in the area of actions and intentions. He was bold, and passionate and impulsive, well-intentioned but often missing the mark. That is probably why he is one of my favorite disciples. I identify with him in many respects. Yet, despite his great intentions, he often ended up with a horrible outcome.

HERE’S THE THING –
Despite Peter’s well-intentioned declaration of commitment to Christ (Mk. 14:29) and his bold actions in the garden of cutting off a soldier’s ear (Jn. 18:10) to protect Jesus, it still resulted in his ultimate denial of Christ (Jn. 18:15-27) the worst possible outcome ... especially since his actions caused great pain to someone he loved deeply.

BUT GOD –
I am so thankful for all of the ‘But God …’ situations and circumstances in the Word and in life. What I love about being in relationship with the LORD, though, is that the end is never the end.
You the LORD is the master of reconciliation. And Jesus came and basically gave Peter a ‘do over’ and restored him to fellowship. (John 21:15-25) That is what I love about Jesus!
JESUS EXTENDED MERCY AND GRACE

YET WE –
You and I are flawed and we may not always have the opportunity or the ability to set things right. Therefore – take the opportunity in advance of acting or reacting, speaking or responding to: SLOW DOWN

To assist toward that end, I would like to close by sharing two phrases that I try [not always successfully] to keep in the forefront of my mind:
§  All truth is good … but not all truth is good to say
§  Just because you can do a thing … it does not mean that you should

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Better to avoid the occasions for offense altogether than to try to repair them.

HOWEVER –
Should there be an offense, try to presume the best intentions [and not the worst]
Should you be the offense [or cause of it], don’t make excuses that the other person is too sensitive ...  APOLOGIZE
And, in all matters, as you have occasion – EXTEND GRACE
To others when they have wronged you and to yourself when you’ve missed the mark

During this weekend of Thanksgiving … let’s also do some gracegiving
Praying that all your relationships, interactions and gatherings will be grace-filled…

Have a Wonderful Evening and a Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment