10 December 2020

JOY

Good Morning

It is a beautiful morning -

It is not nearly as cold as it was yesterday morning

Only fifteen days left until Christmas!

I know – it a little early to start counting down

However – I absolutely love this time of year!

 

This is a time of year where my family enjoys simple pleasures – decorating the house, baking cookies, time together, our annual gingerbread competition and, of course the Christmas cake I bake every Christmas Eve

 

When my sons were young, we started the tradition of baking a cake in honor of the birth of Jesus. Christmas day was the only day of the year where they could have cake for breakfast. And, although they are all grown, somehow the tradition has stuck

Little moments of JOY –

 

Joy is an interesting concept

I think it is difficult to truly define what it is

I mean, there are technical definitions of joy:

Joy \ ˈjȯi  \

Definition of joy

1athe emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires : DELIGHT

bthe expression or exhibition of such emotion : GAIETY

2a state of happiness or felicity : BLISS 

3a source or cause of delight


Yet, I am not certain that I agree with these definitions.

It can certainly include some of the notions and ideas noted above

However, I believe it encompasses so much more – something different than just ‘happiness’

I have heard it said that happiness is based upon ‘happenings’

But joy – true joy – emanates from a somewhere else

True joy can exist in spite of the ‘happenings’, despite whatever may be transpiring in your life at the moment

 

This is my first Christmas without my Mom

It was an extremely sad ‘happening’ which occurred this year

However, when I get too sad in the moments of missing her [and it usually strikes out of nowhere]

I am able to find joy when I remind myself that she is with Jesus

                And that she is certainly having a much better time than I am!

 

You see – I believe joy is linked to perspective and gratitude

I can grieve the challenges and focus on the sadness

Or, I can fix my eyes on the larger perspective and thank God that He is working through it all

 

Scripture tells us that, ‘for the joy set before Him, Christ endured the cross.’ Hebrews 12:2

He fixed His focus on something greater than His circumstances and the pain He had to endure

 

This year – 2020 – has been a challenging time for many

                Not just here in my country but around the globe

And, while nothing can erase the pain which has been inflicted [this is not denialism],

There are opportunities to find places and nuggets of joy – even in the face of great loss

 

My prayer for you this morning is that you will find and occupy the place of JOY

May the LORD comfort, strengthen and renew your heart & hope

May He surround you with His presence and grant you JOY INEXPRESSIBLE and UNENDING

 

I pray you are having a blessed holiday season –

Have a wonderful day and …

God Bless!


‘A joyful heart does good to the body and promotes healing …’ Proverbs 17:22

No comments:

Post a Comment