31 January 2019

LOVE: IT'S A FAMILY THING


Good Morning Friends

Happy Thursday!
Hard to believe we are at the end of January already.
The older I get, the faster the time seems to go
Nevertheless, I hope you are enjoying your week

I also pray you are enjoying our focus on LOVE

It has been great to spend some time focusing on the love of God. Now, we are certainly not done with this most important facet of love. However, today we will be focusing on a different type – STORGE (pronounced stor-JAY).

What is STORGE?
One online definition labels it as a: ‘familial love [which] refers to natural or instinctual affection, such as the love of a parent towards offspring and vice versa …; a wide-ranging force which can apply between family members, friends, pets and owners, companions or colleagues.’

Why is it important?
This type of love [storge] is actually not mentioned in the Bible in its root form. There is a compound usage [philostorgos] and the opposite form [astorgos] mentioned in the Bible twice [in the context of storge love being lacking and the effects on humanity]. And, it is not mentioned in the Old Testament at all. However, the concept of STORGE was present from the start. Yes, if we look back to the beginning of creation, we find that one of the first actions that God took after the creation was to create – A FAMILY

He decided it was not good for Adam to be alone and He gave him Eve, to be his wife.  What a precious gift they both received – to have an established network, an instant support system and, a place to call home – and not just in the sense of a residence. Have you ever been in the presence of someone and it felt just like ‘home’? And it does not occur solely within biological families. Looking back to our definition, I can look at each of those areas and thank God that I have been blessed with friends, pets and colleagues who all became every bit as much family to me as my direct family members.

So why was it important to God?
I believe the focus on creating a unit where storge/family love could be present was important because that was the ultimate goal all along. The LORD desired for us to know the value of family, to experience the love within family, to be a part of His family.

This picture below is one my favorite pictures from travels with my children when they were younger - probably because it is a bunch of boys ... being boys. It is an image of them on the shoreline with their cousins. You would think they were all fast and furious friends, on yet another adventure. However, these were distant cousins whom they had only ever seen once before. It was during a trip to Panama. I had decided – long after my ex-husband and I had separated – to take my sons to go meet the other side of their family. I felt it was important – and it is a decision that I have never regretted.

I still remember the day we arrived for our vacation. There was a small ‘tribe’ at the airport to greet us [three van loads]! I recall my youngest, grabbing hold of my hand and asking with amazement, and possibly a bit of trepidation, ‘Are all those people here to meet us?’ Yes – I responded – THAT’S FAMILY!

NOW – I realize that not every family situation is filled with love and loving moments. However, family love was prototype before people and life situations got damaged by the effects of sin.
YET – It is still such a precious prize.

FAMILY LOVE
If you do not have this family love – realize that it is available in so many other relationships.
Although not his biological child, Timothy became so much like family to the Apostle Paul that Paul referred to him as ‘his own son’ (I Timothy 1:2). Likewise, David and Jonathan shared a closeness that surely superseded the closeness that either of them shared with their biological siblings; scripture noting ‘Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul’ (I Samuel 18:1). And then there is Ruth and Naomi; Ruth declaring her loyalty, ‘Do not urge me to leave you or to return from following you. For where you go I will go … your people will be m people and your God, my God.’ [Ruth 1:16] This type of family love can be developed in many ways.

If you have this family love – cherish it, nourish it and fight for it. Reflect on the characteristics of love and employ them within the family, remembering, ‘Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.’ [I Cor. 13:4-7] It is this type of love, cultivated within a family – freely given and willingly accepted – which helps build the foundation for individuals to become loving people inside and outside of the family unit.


Praying You Have a Blessed Day!

Wishing You Much Love …

No comments:

Post a Comment