11 December 2010

everything in nothing ...

I love this time of year!

Everything is sparkling, pretty pointsettas, wonderful scents of cinnamon and pine infuse the air and you hear the praises of our wonderful Savior everywhere – even in places that you would not normally hear it – like a shopping mall, from a flash mob http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

It just seems like there miracle opportunities waiting around every corner:
People - Nicer, even giving gifts to those they do not particularly care for

Food - Ample with a universal ‘dietary forgiveness clause’ during this time

Children - More behaved,which perhaps could be a 'power move', but one that gets the room cleaned

It truly is the most wonderful time of the year – for most

However, for some, the holidays [and no, I am not one of those anti-Christmas people] are a challenging time. I say holidays because it starts at Thanksgiving and goes through to New Year’s. There are some who still seem to encounter the meanest of the mean people out there. Some experience parenting challenges no matter what time of year it is. Some are reminded of and grieve those who have left their lives. And to many, the food is not plenteous, it is sparse. Sadly, there are many who do not long to hear song of good cheer because they feel like they do not have anything to be cheery about.

If I am honest – some of those feelings tried to jump on me a couple of years ago. However, before I get to a couple of years ago, let me take a shorter journey back.

It all started yesterday with an impromptu stop at my cousin’s consignment store. She is not actually my cousin, she is my cousin’s wife - but that is neither here nor there. I stopped by her shop to say hello because we had not talked in a while. It was a great time – in between her servicing her customers.

We talked about the meeting I had with the publisher, the book and the work which will be required leading up to its release. But, most importantly, we talked about the faithfulness of God and how He directs our steps even when we do not understand the route.

Well, as I got ready to leave there were some ornaments and some were labeled ‘Free - Enjoy!’ One of those ornaments was this beautiful white bell with a red ribbon and 2008 etched in red. I had eyed the ornament a few times while she was servicing customers and clients but that 2008 was causing me to pause as I thought, ‘It’s pretty, but … ‘


She said she was giving it away for free because it was pretty and might hold significance for someone. It wasn’t until my cousin voiced those words, that it was brought to my remembrance why 2008 was so significant for me.

It was December 2008 and I had been out of work for one year. When God told me to step out on faith [and to leave a well-paying career] I did not fully comprehend all that it could entail. Christmas was upon us and, for the first time ever, I was unable to buy my children any presents, not even a candy cane. We did still make our cake for Jesus and celebrate His birth, which we do every year. But, outside of that, we had nothing.

I shared the story with my cousin –
That year, 2008, was the very first year I was not able to buy my children anything. That Christmas day was the very first time I had a vision during the day:

‘It is more than the merchandise and things; it is a song in our hearts and the joy that it brings’

Those were the words that hung in the air as I arose from that vision
That was an ‘object lesson’ year –
Through a practical situation God reinforced a spiritual reality
Everything important was wrapped up in that year of ‘nothing’

I got all teary eyed as she gave me the ornament and I got ready to leave the store.

You see, the name of her store is ‘Heart of a Woman’. And my perspective on the heart of a woman, particularly the heart of a mom, is to give her children the very best. And that is just what I had done in 2008. We celebrated Jesus that year – and nothing but Jesus.

The joy which was present that day was not because everyone got that ‘special gift’ that they were looking for. Rather, the joy came from the most precious Gift ever given.

‘For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder. And His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David and upon His Kingdom, to order it and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even forever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this’ Isaiah 9:6-7

Rejoice for the Lord has graced us with His Son!

By definition, an ornament is a ‘useful accessory or something that lends grace or beauty’. The Christmas of 2008 definitely was that and did that for me

That white bell,
To me represents the purity that comes when we accept Jesus
That red bow at the top of the bell – it reminds me of His blood covering me
That red ink etched into the bell – it reminds me of His indwelling Spirit
And just like that ornament, the gift of Jesus and salvation is ‘Free - Enjoy!’

I don’t know if we will have another year like 2008, where I am unable to buy anything for my children. Last year, they got one present each – a far cry from what I did when I was working.

However, regardless of what I can and cannot buy, my aim is to have every year be like 2008Where Jesus is the focus, the main focus, the sole focus

Jesus is everything when you have nothing!

I’m sure I’ll post again before December 25th
But, in case you can’t make it back to this page –
Have a Very Merry ‘Christ-Filled’ Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment