02 February 2021

2021: love, like, maybe ...

 I trust you had a fabulous Monday and that your week is off to a great start

Here we are on day two of our LOVE journey

And today’s topic is surrounding that very word – LOVE

But, as shared in a quote yesterday, ‘there is no easier word’ than LOVE


 When I was first dating [many, many years ago], I had a boyfriend who was Hispanic

And, whenever he wanted to say ‘I love you’, he would say ‘Te Quiero’

There are many dialects and influences to the Spanish language –

And some people do use that phrase to say ‘I love you’

Some others use ‘te adoro’ and others use ‘te amo’

Therefore, any time my boyfriend would use ‘Te quiero’ to say ‘I love you’,

I would point out to him that saying ‘te quiero’ and saying ‘te amo’ were not the same


Spanish is not my primary language – I learned it in school

However, I will try my best to explain this as relates to my situation

The phrase ‘te quiero’ comes from the verb ‘querer’ – to want

While the phrase ‘te adoro’ come from the verb ‘adorar’ – to adore

And the final phrase ‘te amo’ comes from the verb ‘amar’ – to love

Very different meanings if taken at face value and with literal interpretation.

 

Hindsight being 20/20, I believe that individual was stating what he truly felt –

And what he was truly saying was, ‘I want you’

Renowned poet Maya Angelou is quoted as saying, 

          “If someone shows you who they are … BELIEVE THEM!”

I am teasing but being honest at the same time & we are still acquaintances to this day

But, wanting someone and loving someone are two completely different things

                                                 

Now – I am not sharing all of this to give a lesson in grammar

I am sharing it to illustrate a point –

‘Love’ does not mean the same thing to all people – linguistically or emotionally

And I believe a great many people have been tripped-up and hurt because of this

Therefore, it is so important to really think about what love means to you;

It is equally important to understand what love means to someone else;

Whether you are saying ‘I love you’ or whether those words are being spoken to you

It could be 'love', it could be 'like', or it could be something else entirely

 

Have a Blessed Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment