20 February 2019

LOVE: LOVE & INTIMACY PT I


Good Evening Friends!

We are past the midpoint of the week!
I pray you had an absolutely wonderful day
It is rainy here in Virginia Beach but I am still full of energy.
I have this wonderful sense that God is in the midst of doing something – PHENOMENAL!
I am also excited to continue our discussion on LOVE
Today’s topic: LOVE & INTIMACY PT I



NOW – I will ask you to bear with me today since I will be tackling this subject from a somewhat different angle than I might ordinarily. I would like to talk about some of the things that contribute to a loss of intimacy with God.

FOR ME – the most recent & applicable example that comes to mind would be my own life
AND – contrary to what it might appear on this blog, I am actually a very private person
SO – this will be a bit of a stretch for me

It all started the beginning of last year –
Ok, it actually began well before that, but last year is when it all began to really unravel. However, I should have known it was going to be an eventful year. Four days in – January 2018 – we had some of the worst snow our region has had in some time. And, unable to get to my mom’s by car, my son and I walked about five miles in twelve inches of snow in subfreezing temps. We both had hypothermia by the time we reached her place at midnight.

But that was just the beginning –
That wonderful experience was followed by an unexpected and substantial financial reversal; then my mom was removed from her home by family and thrown into a horrendous nursing home [a stay which started with individuals telling me that if I did not meet their demands, I would never see her again and ending with her being abused while she was in said facility]. This was followed by the death of my seventeen year old Min-Pin, more financial setbacks, a hospitalization for my mom [with a notice that we needed to look into hospice care] and then her being forced into another less than satisfactory facility.

The LORD finally enabled me to get her somewhere safer in December. But, the challenges throughout the year were somewhat surreal. I even went to counseling at one point – figuring that it would be a bit hypocritical of me if I did not at least give it a try [being that I am studying Psychology with a focus on Christian Counseling]. Well, two sessions in – with my counselor on the couch with tears in her eyes and me sitting in the chair giving her feedback on her business – I thought to myself, ‘Something is wrong with this picture; something really is not right here!’

I had to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. But truthfully, it was no laughing matter. Depression had taken a devastating and crippling grip on me. I recall my sister [who was accustomed to me being the encouraging faith-filled one] telling me at one point, ‘You are starting to scare me.’ My response – ‘I am starting to scare myself!’

I say all that to say – Life can hit you hard sometimes.
And if you are not careful, it can destroy your intimacy with God.

There is a saying –
Never get too tired, too hungry or too thirsty
I would probably add to that ‘too lonely, too frustrated and too isolated’ as well
I shared yesterday that we run the risk [and actually face the high probability] of losing intimacy with God when we lose focus, get distracted, stop listening and stop communicating

When there are multiple distractions crashing around you, it is easy to lose focus.
Sometimes, you can scarcely catch your breath before another wave of challenge hits
However, it is in those moments that we must be intentional about fixing our eyes on Jesus.
This is done through spending time with Him.

I know this is not an easy task –
As far as communication goes, there were days when I could only whisper, ‘Jesus, help me please’
There are days when all I could do is weep

Yet any way that you can find to stay connected to Him is worth the effort.
One of the worst effects of losing intimacy is when you start trying to find other things to fill the void; a God-sized hole that only the LORD Himself can fill. And the vain attempts to fill it with anything [or anyone] else can – in a bad situation – lead to the development of sinful habits; and – in a worse situation – can lead to despondency and a feeling of utter hopelessness and numbness. It can become a vicious cycle – like a whirlpool spinning you around, tossing you to and fro, all the while pulling you deeper and deeper into a dark spiritual abyss.

THANKFULLY THERE IS NO HOLE TOO DEEP,
WHERE THE LOVE OF GOD CANNOT REACH … AND RESCUE
No physical, spiritual or emotional pit is too great for the LORD

That is what He did for me
It would take several posts to explain it in detail;
But, the important think for you to know is this:
When you have reached a point that you feel you cannot hold onto faith,
     That is when faith holds on to you

You see – this relationship with the LORD, this intimacy; It is not one-sided.
He longs for that closeness and connection every bit as much as we do
And He is willing to fight for it … He loves you that much

§  ‘The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you … [He] will rejoice over you with singing.’ Zephaniah 3:17
§  While we were yet sinners [lost, trapped and without hope], Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
§  He rescues from the miry pit. Psalm 40:2
§  ‘To all who mourn …He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair.’ Isaiah 61:3

BUT EVERY RELATIONSHIP IS TWO-SIDED
AND YOU MUST DO YOUR PART TO MAINTAIN INTIMACY

§  Talk to Him – speak, write, sing, pray, cry … scream if you must [He can handle it]
§  Be Real – even if some of the frustration you feel is toward Him [trust me, He already knows]
§  Keep Seeking Him – even if you can only read one sentence
§  In my book, When Storms Rage, I note: When you cannot see God or hear God or feel God – you should read God. You will find His voice and you will find His character and nature there

Do whatever you must but never stop pursuing intimacy with God ..

Praying You Have a Blessed Evening
Wishing You Much Love …

No comments:

Post a Comment