26 February 2019

LOVE: LOVE & INTIMACY PT III

Good Morning Friends!

Yes, it is pretty early in the morning – it is almost 2 AM.
I’ve been incognito for a few days. And while I was busy – I was not that busy.
Truth is, as much as I would love to adhere to a routine in writing –
I find I can only write when I feel inspired to do so.

SO HERE WE ARE – We are continuing our discussion on LOVE
We are nearing the end of the month and almost to the end of our love journey;
Which we should know by now – it is not really the end
Love does not end – this is just the beginning

TODAY’S TOPIC: LOVE & INTIMACY PT III - FREEDOM
AT THE ONSET OF OR INTIMACY TALK – We discussed spiritual intimacy with God
A FEW DAYS AGO – I talked about natural intimacy [physical, sexual and relational]
TODAY – I would like to round out this topic and will likely touch on a bit of both

In our chat on relational intimacy, you will recall how I shared that:
INTIMACY IS KNOWLEDGE – PURE AND SIMPLE

It is pure and simple while at the same time powerful and significant. In discussing some of the potential pitfalls, I expressed some of the dangers of becoming relationally intimate with the wrong person. I shared this under the header of ‘Intimacy in Marriage’ but the truth is that it applies to all. As noted in that post, 'You can share information with anyone. However … you must ask yourself whether it is the wise thing to do.

‘Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.’ I Corinthians 6:12

Relational intimacy is a powerful thing. It is a relationship stabilizer, a solid foundation – a bridge which connects two hearts and creates deep and lasting emotional & spiritual bonds.

Relational intimacy can also be a dangerous thing. I shared during our last talk that, ‘If you have to beg someone to share information about themselves, they are not interested in a meaningful relationship with you.’ I went on to state, ‘Relational intimacy involves a desire and intention to know someone and to be known by them.’ However, it is often the unfortunate instance – in their quest to create a bond – individuals will share too much intimate knowledge, too soon, and with someone who should not have the privilege of knowing those details about you.

YOU SEE –
Done incorrectly [with the wrong person] – the sharing of information can be undervalued, used as a manipulative device and abused. It does not always happen. But, there is the potential for it. You are probably familiar with the phase ‘knowledge is power’. Well, it is. And, this is why it is vital to be extremely careful in who you disclose information to and who you receive information from.

HOWEVER –
When done correctly, relational intimacy [and the love which it fosters] has an ability to produce FREEDOM.

FREEDOM TO BE HONEST
§  ‘You will know the truth and the truth will set you free’ Jn. 8:32
§  ‘…speaking the truth in love, we grow up’ Eph. 4:15
§  ‘Wounds from a friend can be trusted’ Prov. 27:6
§  ‘An honest answer is like a warm hug’ Prov. 24:26 MSG
§  Some versions of Proverbs 24:26 state that an honest answer is like a kiss on the lips

FREEDOM TO BE VULNERABLE
§  ‘They were naked and unashamed’ Gen. 2:25
§  Understand that nakedness could be physical, emotional or spiritual

FREEDOM TO BE COURAGEOUS
§  ‘Be strong and courageous … for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you’ Deut. 31:6
§  The love of God gives courage. Likewise, when we love one another [the way God loves us], we encourage, empower and uplift one another – to be the very best versions of ourselves.

FREEDOM TO LOVE
§  ‘We love because He first loved us’ I Jn. 4:19
§  We have the freedom to love Him and be loved by Him
§  We have the freedom to love others and to allow ourselves to be loved

There is a song I have been listening to lately called ‘Sails’ by Pat Barrett.
Something in this song has been resonating with me on multiple levels:
‘Falling is easy, but staying in love is hard
Hard to be honest and keep our heart open
To be who we truly are
Without the excuses, without the façade
There’s no pretending
Here in your love’

The chorus of that song goes on to state, 
'I let out the sails of my heart; here I am here you are’
Every time I listen to this song, this wave of peace and wonder and anticipation washes over me.

The Word of God states that ‘Perfect love casts out fear.’ I John 4:18
This is so true.
Love and intimacy casts out the fear of rejection;
It casts out the need for pretense – affording the freedom to be yourself
It takes you from a place of being closed and guarded and protected;
It creates in you a willingness to be honest and vulnerable - to trust
It unfurls the sails of your heart – 
It enables you to catch a fresh breeze; to take a deep breath
It gently – and sometimes powerfully – propels you forward;
It enables you to go places you never dreamed – 
It allows you to discover and experience love you have only ever hoped for.

LOVE & INTIMACY – IT IS A POWERFUL THING

SPIRITUALLY – I feel like GOD and I are back at place in our relationship where I had not been in a while. Notice, I stated ‘where I had not been in a while’. He never moved. But you will recall how, in our discussion on spiritual intimacy, I shared, ‘we run the risk [and actually face the high probability] of losing intimacy with God, when we lose focus, get distracted, stop listening and stop communicating’. This happened to me last year – and probably started before then.

But now, He and I are back –
We are back to that place of deep intimacy, but at the same time some place entirely new and different. But I also feel as though He is preparing me for something in the natural. I can’t explain it fully. However, it feels like He is aligning things – pushing together the pieces of a puzzle to bring together a complete a picture of what He’s been working on all this time. Hard to explain …

In any event, I’ve included a link to that song ‘Sails’ in the comments section below. I hope you enjoy!

Praying You Have a Blessed Day
Wishing You Much Love …

1 comment:

  1. Sails – Pat Barrett (feat. Steffany Gretzinger & Amanda Lindsey Cook)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC7mNAsx7Vw&list=RDrC7mNAsx7Vw&start_radio=1

    ReplyDelete