13 February 2019

LOVE: IT IS SO ROMANTIC!


Hi There Friends!

I pray you have had a fantastic day!
I am thankful that I have made it past the middle of the week,
And that I get to continue our series on LOVE
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and my Friday!!!

TODAY – our discussion is about the romantic nature of love
LOVE IS SO ROMANTIC!   OK – NOT ALWAYS
HOWEVER – WHEN LOVE IS ROMANTIC … IT IS AMAZING! 


Of all our discussions on love –
This is one my favorite love topics
I told you I am a hopeless romantic – a staunch believer in the power of love

So, to me, powerful expressions of love just do something to me. I understand that, for some [especially if they have been single as long as I have], they do not want to hear about LOVE. However, I celebrate with those who have found love and I eagerly await the day the LORD will unfold His plans for me [whatever those plans may entail]

TODAY – I will be keeping things light. I have simply come up with two lists:
1.       My top three romantic exchanges in film [and why I find them romantic]
2.       My personal top five most romantic gestures
(Now – one thing you should know about me by now is that I do not believe in saying more than I feel is necessary to make my point. So, while a five and five list would make more natural sense – a three and five list is what I’ve prepared. I will thank you in advance for your forgiveness.)

WITH THAT SAID – LET’S GET STARTED

MOVIES & TELEVISION
Romance is a Bonus Book –
·         “When Dan-I smiles, I am happy. When Dan-I cries, my heart breaks and it drives me crazy. When she struggles, I struggle too. I miss her when she is not with me. If that’s love, I guess I love her then.”  When told that he needs to share his feelings with her and asked if he is being too careful, he responds: “Yes I’m being careful. But I’m going to be way more careful – that people might think I’m indecisive. I want to check 100 more times how deep my feelings are. I also want to wait until the day my feelings are reciprocated by hers. She’s not someone I can easily date and breakup with. To me, Dan-I is that important to me.” [Korean Netflix Series: Male lead Eun-Ho [played by Lee Jon-suk], ironically talking to his ex-girlfriend about his feelings for female lead Dan-I [played by Lee Na-young]
·         Why is this romantic? Because he is being so honest about his feelings. When we as women often think that men are always ‘cool, calm & collected’, this scene reveals some of the insecurities of men – wanting to be sure that their feelings will be reciprocated before they’ll take a chance. And, he shares how he is willing to take things slow because she is so special that he doesn’t want to mess it up. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE – Super Sweet!
The Notebook –
·       Noah asks Allie, “Will you just stay with me?” and her response is, “Stay with you? What for? Look at us – we’re already fightin’!” What happens next is quite the declaration from Noah: “Well that’s what we do, we fight … You tell me when I’m being an arrogant son-of-a-b^#*! and I tell you when you’re being a pain in the a** … which you are 99% of the time. I’m not afraid to hurt your feelings. They have  like a two-second rebound rate, and you’re back doing the next pain-in-the-a** thing ... So, it’s not going to be easy. It’s going to be really hard and we’re going to have to work at this every day. But I want to do that, because I want you. I want all you forever … you and me … every day.”
·       Where’s the romance in a fight scene? First allow me to apologize for selecting a scene with some ‘flowery’ language. However, I LOVE the realness of this scene. There are no false expectations here. They both know it is going to be a challenge. However, knowing this, they still ultimately decide to make a go of it. When you are in a relationship where you can be yourself, be honest, and vulnerable and direct – WHERE YOU CAN KEEP IT 100% REAL – you have something pretty special.


To Sir With Love –
·       Very limited dialogue here … it is just a dance, ladies choice (there’s a link in the comments section). And, if you are familiar with the film, you know that the young lady in the scene is fully enamored with her teacher, Mark Thackeray who is referred to by his students simply as, ‘Sir’ [played by the ever-dashing Sidney Poitier]. Ever the gentleman and responsible adult, Sir is able to let Pamela know that there will not be anything between them. Yet, he honors his word to give her one dance and tells her at the end, “The whole world’s waiting for you … you’re a smasher!
·       How could this possibly be romantic, you might ask? Well, there is something sweet, and tender and brilliant about falling for someone – even when it is unrequited. To me, it introduces the hope of what could be some day [not with that individual … but some day, with somebody]. For someone who might not have ever experienced those types of feelings for another, it is an awakening experience. I love the purity of this scene where they are still able to laugh, to dance and to act silly – and to part as friendly acquaintances – even when the romantic feelings are not the same. Ironically, it is not a romance film at all … more of a coming of age [maturing] movie which also tackles race relations, class and micro- & macro- inequities. It helps us understand that some relationships come into your life simply to educate you, to mature you and get you ready for what’s next. One of my all-time favorites.
NOW – LET’S TACKLE MY LIST (counting down to #1)
·       The Mom-Seatbelt: Any mom who has children knows what this is. You brake too hard in the vehicle and your protective instincts kick in and that arm immediately goes out to the right (in the States) and slams that child to the seat as if: 1. your arm is stronger than the seatbelt they are wearing 2. your arm really would stop any crushing metal forcibly coming toward your passenger if you were in a wreck. This is what he did when we almost had a head-on collision. He wasn’t concerned about himself. He wasn’t concerned about his luxury vehicle. He was concerned about my safety. Still give me chills & goosebumps!
·       Nap Time: We had not seen each other in eight years. And, sitting on a couch, I fell asleep with my head on his chest. And he sat there, his arms wrapped around me and let me sleep for almost two hours. I apologized profusely when I woke up! But he shushed me, told me it was perfectly fine; that it made him feel great that I could be completely relaxed in his presence and get some much needed rest. So sweet!
·       What I Think of You: He said, “I think you are a very intelligent woman, and beautiful … and might I add … sexy” Something about the order of those compliments … It still makes me smile!
·       Five Simple Words: He simply & sincerely said, “Tell me what you need.” Who would think that five little words could be so powerful; could evoke such a reaction? Enough said … moving on …
·       My Lady: We were walking down an avenue in Boston. It was a bit chilly and there was snow and slush and cold murky water on the streets. He took my hand, and gently guided me … to the inside of the sidewalk – so that if anything splashed up by passing vehicles, it would hit him first. That was thirty-years ago if that gives you any idea of the impact it left. There is nothing more romantic than genuine care & concern. Wow!

SO, THERE ARE THEY ARE –  MY LISTS
THERE IS NOTHING LIKE LOVE & ROMANCE
What is at the top of your romance list?

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day!!!!

Praying You Have a Blessed Evening 
     & Wishing You Much Love …

1 comment:

  1. 1. Romance is a Bonus Book - I could not find the actual scene … however, here is a link to a scene of their ‘first date’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vj-Nr9TP40
    2. The Notebook - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWiRoEUkfBc
    3. To Sir With Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hs3S8gNIU0

    ReplyDelete